Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > General > Lexi Hart (KS 2011-19)

Lexi Hart (KS 2011-19)

25 Jan 2022
Written by Ed Vickery
General
2) B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally-B' at IWM Duxford Air Show 2021 (me third from left)
2) B-17G Flying Fortress 'Sally-B' at IWM Duxford Air Show 2021 (me third from left)

I joined Kingswood in 2011 and was lucky enough to continue my studies there until I completed my A-Levels in 2019. Having taken a gap year, I am currently in my second of three years studying Geography at the University of Bristol (UoB).

When approaching my first term at UoB, I came across an advertisement for the Bristol University Air Squadron (BUAS)... a couple of interviews, medicals, and fitness tests later and I was attested onto the squadron as an Officer Cadet. Now, in my second year, I have taken up the role as Deputy Flight Commander of Operations where I oversee Force Development and Engagement and Outreach for BUAS, I am also the Military Education Committee (MEC) student representative.

BUAS is a Volunteer Reserve unit in the Royal Air Force (RAF) recruiting students from the universities of Bristol, Bath, West of England, Exeter, and Plymouth- there are 15 other UAS’s across the country, covering almost all universities. Whilst the central aim of the UAS system is to attract talented young people to join the RAF or the other Armed Services, there is absolutely no obligation to join at the end of your degree.

The possibilities on a UAS are endless: all whilst getting paid, you can go flying, partake in adventurous training, develop your teamwork and leadership skills, and interact with some very interesting and successful people. No matter your degree, UASs are the ultimate university society and the experiences you gain are hugely beneficial to your career prospects; on BUAS, for example, we currently have students completing industry placements at Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1, Airbus, and we have a number of RAF Pilot and Medical bursars- to name but a few.

Despite my first year at university being held up by endless lockdowns and online learning, BUAS has provided me with some unforgettable memories. In the summer of 2021, I went on a two-week long camp where highlights included surfing, coasteering, paddleboarding, and a flight in a Puma helicopter over the Cornish coastline. I also attended the Duxford Air Show last year, where we were invited into ‘Sally-B’ the B-17 Flying Fortress, got to sit in Team Ravens’ aerobatic lead aircraft, and to walk right up to the Spitfires and Hurricanes with a BBMF engineer. Another unforgettable memory was winning a team gold at the RAF Indoor Alpine Ski Championships. Might I remind you that I was getting paid for these experiences!

This year, I have even more to look forward to- including beginning my flying training. This is particularly exciting for me, as I will be applying for a pilot bursary shortly- all being well, I will then have a career in the RAF waiting for me at the end of my degree.

If you are planning to go to university after Kingswood, or have at least two more years of your degree left, I cannot recommend joining a UAS more highly. We have students studying everything from dentistry to astrophysics, and each person’s experience on the squadron is completely different: it is what you make of it. If you are interested, I’d be more than happy for you to contact me on my personal email address (hartalexandra01@gmail.com). You can see more of what we do at BUAS on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BristolUAS .

Most read

Afternoon Tea at the Connaught Hotel, W Cliff Road, Bournemouth More...

Mr John Davies, Deputy Head of KS 2017-2024

Mr John Davies has announced that he will be leaving his role of Deputy Head at Kingswood after seven years, to become Headmaster of Dauntsey's School… More...

Have your say

CONTACT DETAILS

Old Kingswoodian Association
Kingswood School, Lansdown Road
Bath, BA1 1RG

+44(0)1225 734283

Email us

MENU ITEMS

SCHOOL WEBSITE 

www.kingswood.bath.sch.uk

SOCIAL MEDIA

This website is powered by