Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Old Kingswoodian News > Laurie Canter claims the DP World Tour Title

Laurie Canter claims the DP World Tour Title

Congratulations to Laurie Canter KS 2001-2008
Congratulations to Laurie Canter KS 2001-2008

Laurie Canter ended a 13-year wait for his first title on the DP World Tour with a two-shot victory in the European Open.

Our 34-year-old Old Kingswoodian had finished runner-up on six occasions before finally breaking his duck in Hamburg.

A one-under-par final round of 72 was enough to seal victory on 13 under, with Austria's Bernd Wiesberger and South African Thriston Lawrence finishing in a tie for second.

"I'll find that tough," said a tearful Canter. "It's all I've wanted to do since before I turned pro so it's hard to rationalise now, but I'm really happy."

Canter, who was one of the first wave of players to move to LIV Golf in 2022 but is now back playing on his home circuit, birdied the opening hole of his final round but a first victory looked in doubt after bogeys on five and 10.

He putted well on the back nine and opened a three-shot lead following birdies on the 11th, 15th and 16th, and could afford a dropped shot on the penultimate hole.

"It felt like I holed a lot of puts when I needed to today, which I haven't done in the past," said Canter.

"It is difficult when you are serially not getting it done, like a stigma, but I have always known in myself that I could win."

Similar stories

Our 2024 magazine for Old Kingswoodians is now available. More...

Afternoon Tea at the Connaught Hotel, W Cliff Road, Bournemouth More...

Mr John Davies has announced that he will be leaving his role of Deputy Head at Kingswood after seven years, to become H… More...

It's been another busy year with the Old Kingswoodian Association, and we'd like to share our thoughts on 2023, and send… More...

Most read

Have your say

CONTACT DETAILS

Old Kingswoodian Association
Kingswood School, Lansdown Road
Bath, BA1 1RG

+44(0)1225 734283

Email us

MENU ITEMS

SCHOOL WEBSITE 

www.kingswood.bath.sch.uk

SOCIAL MEDIA